Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings

Fall is here officially and weather wise. Here in the south the weather has definitley cooled off which means soups and stews. I love cooking warm yummy meals that make your kitchen smell great and your tummy feel full of love. I found this chicken and dumpling recipe on foodtv.com, it is one of Paula's recipes and is so delicious.

What you need:

1 (2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1-2 tsp sage, cumin, garlic salt and onion powder combined (this is what I used)
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup
*I added a handful of frozen peas*

**I used a pack of chicken tenderloins, therefore I cut this recipe in half.

Dumplings what you need:

*I used a different recipe for my dumplings*

•1 cup flour
•2 tsp baking powder
•1/2 tsp salt
•1/2 cup milk

What you do:

Mix your dumplings together and set aside.

Photobucket

Put your chicken, celery, seasonings, bay leaves, onion, bullion and 4 cups of water in a large pot. Boil for about 40 mins or until chicken is tender and pulls apart.

Add the cream of celery soup to the pot and simmer on med/low, you can add the peas now too.

Photobucket

Scoop your dumplings out by heaping teaspoons and put them in the pot. Cover your pot, be sure to do this. You want them to cook from the steam, not boiling. Boiled dumplings are gummy. Steamed dumplings are yummy. Cook for about 15-20mins until dumplings are done. (you can insert a tooth pick to make sure it comes out clean.)

Enjoy! This is a tummy pleaser for sure.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Chicken and dumplings is one of my very favourite fall/winter dishes. Your recipe sounds very "authentic", yet really easy. I love it! Thank you for sharing and Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete