Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sloppy Joe Skillet: Make Over

I got the inspiration for this meal from Mommy's Kitchen.

http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2011/04/sloppy-joe-skillet-potluck-sunday.html

I had every intention of making it just like Tina did but when I went to Publix I could not find the Bisquick or the Manwich. My local Publix recently rearranged the entire store and I am still having a hard time getting used to it. Well, I say recently but actually it was months ago. I'm just not very good with remembering where things are. Since I could not find those 2 key ingredients I came up with my own recipe, I hope you like it. My entire family loved it, there was not one bite left.

Photobucket

Sloppy Joe Skillet Make Over

What you need for the filling:

1 lb of ground beef (turkey would be fine too)

1 15oz can of tomato sauce

1/2 of a 15oz can of Italian diced tomatoes. (only use the tomatoes, NOT the juice)

1-2 tblsp of worsteshire sauce (to taste)

2 tsp of garlic salt

2 tsp of cumin

2 tsp of paprika

2 tsp of mustard (dry or regular mustard, either is good)

1 small onion diced

1/2 bell pepper diced

2 cups of shredded cheddar

What you do to make the filling:

Heat a large skillet. I used a cast iron skillet which I would recommend because I love mine. If you don't have on then be sure to use one you can not only use on your stove top but be sure you can put it in your oven too. AKA no plastic handles.

Spray your skillet with non stick spray and saute' your onions and bell pepper for about 5 minutes. Add your ground beef and cook until there is no more pink. Be sure to break your meat up with a spatula while you are cooking it.

Next the rest of the ingredients. Mix it well and let it simmer for about 20mins on medium low heat. After 20mins you can add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese to it if you would like; I like so I definitley do it.

Meanwhile make the topping, you can use canned biscuits but I prefer homemade. They are so easy and so good.

What you need for the biscuits:

1 stick of unsalted butter

2 cups of self rising flour

1 cup of buttermilk

What you do to make the biscuits:

Put your 2 cups of self rising flour in a large bowl. Cut your butter into cubes and put them in the bowl. 'Cut' the butter into the flour with oyour hands. Just incorporate it, keep mashing the butter with your fingers until the pieces are pea sized. Now add the 1 cup of buttermilk and mix it until moist. Dump your mixture on a floured counter top. Knead it a few times then flatten it out with your hands and cut your biscuits out with either a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass. I use the glass.

Turn off the stove top with your meat mixture and place your biscuits on top of the mixture. Put the whole skillet in the oven and bake it on 350 for about 30mins or until your biscuits are golden on top. Brush the top of your biscuits with some melted butter once it is all done and enjoy!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment