Monday, March 14, 2011

Extra Tasty Cornbread~Aunties Recipe

My kiddo does not like cornbread, never has and until this weekend said he never would. I was making a big pot of chili and when I told him I was making cornbread to go with it he said very sadly, 'well I guess all I'm eating is chili.' He changed his mind very quickly. I could not keep him out of it once he had a taste. He finished the last piece this morning with some strawberry jam on it.

What you need:

2 cups of self rising flour

1 cup of self rising cornmeal

2 eggs

1 1/2 cup milk

1tsp of sugar

8 oz of sour cream

1 stick of butter

***I'm on weight watchers so I used light sour cream and 8 tbsp of Smart Balance spread in it, couldn't tell a difference, it was great.***

What you do:

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees, while it is his heating put your cast iron skillet in the oven so it heats up too.

Combine your dry ingredients and then cut your butter in the dry mix. I use my hands to mix it in, I just work it until the butter is in pea sized balls. Set this mix aside.

Beat the two eggs and sourcream together in another bowl, then add milk.

Slowly add your wet mixture to your dry mix. Stir it until just moistened.

Take your hot cast iron skillet from the oven, spray with non stick spray and pour the cornbread mixture in the skillet. Do you hear it sizzling? That's why you want the skillet hot. The crust is forming on the cornbread and it will be so perfect. Put it in the oven and bake for about 20-23mins or until golden brown on top and a knife comes out clean in the center.

This is so light and tasty. We enjoyed ours with chili, had some honey on it at one point and then ate the rest with strawberry jam.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment